Teen loses stomach after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

A WINE bar in the UK has been fined $244,600 after an 18-year-old girl had to have her stomach removed after drinking a free liquid nitrogen cocktail.

According to the Daily Mail, Gaby Scanlon, now 20, started vomiting after drinking the shot of Jagermeister laced with gas at her birthday.

Liquid nitrogen can be as cold as -196 degrees Celsius and doctors were forced to remove her stomach in order to save her life.

Oscar's Wine Bar had previously been warned about the risks of using the gas but prosecutor Barry Berlin said they "didn't properly police it".

Ms Berlin told the court how Miss Scanlon became violently ill after consuming the drink.

"She vomits clear liquid, pouring from her mouth and steam comes out of her nose.

"The liquid nitrogen hits her stomach and begins killing her internal tissue."

Miss Scanlon gave a statement to the court saying she immediately felt like she was "expanding".

"I tried to undo my skirt as my stomach had expanded because of the gas."

A representative for the wine bar said they "have learned their lesson every day for the last three years".


Topics:  bar cocktail uk

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Sisters seek new scratching post

Moo is part of a bonded pair at AWLQ Bracken Ridge.

Roo and Moo are a bonded pair at Bracken Ridge

Christmas is already here for Courtney

The cast of Brisbane Junior Theatre's Elf the Musical Jr includes Courtney Mackay from Taigum (front left).

Young Taigum actress performs in Elf the Musical Jr

Adults help scouts get to Jamboree

Bridget Galway, Aaliyah Barge, Charlie Blagden are already getting excited about the 2019 Australian Scout Jamboree.

Sandgate Scouts hold trivia night and mini cent auction

Local Partners