AN area in Sandgate (now known as Shorncliffe) was declared a settlement in 1853 and white settlers started moving into the area during the late 1850s/early 1860s.
The rich history of the area is evident by the many historic homes which are still standing.
This week we look at some of these homes - which have served as a hospital, informal bowling club, boarding house, and even a brothel. There are so many historic homes that we will present them in two parts (with the second half to be published in October).
The information and photos have been sourced from Sandgate and District Historic Society and Museum.
22 Park Parade - Howrah, now Blue Waters
HOWRAH was built, mostly of hoop pine and bunya pine, for Henry St John Bridgman, who occupied it from 1863-66.
He sold the property to the first Roman Catholic Bishop of Brisbane Dr James Quinn, who lived there from 1866-81.
Having been ordained Bishop in 1859, Dr Quinn conducted the first Catholic mass at a house next to the Osbourne Hotel in 1865.
He was instrumental in constructing the first Catholic church in Sandgate on Brighton Road.
An extension was designed by John Richard Hall and constructed in 1881.
In 1897 the house was bought by George Bond, ironmonger and managing director of Perry Bros.
In 1898 Howrah was extensively altered and expanded by architect Hubert Thomas, who was responsible for the 1897 bandstand and canteen in Moora Park
The house was divided into flats in the 1940s and was restored in the 1970s.
60 Park Parade - Cressbrook, now Morven
THIS home was built in 1864 as a town residence and summer retreat for John McConnel and his wife Amelia.
The McConnel family were early upper Brisbane Valley squatters and were known as 'the McConnels from Durundur'.
The Georgian-style house was designed by Benjamin Backhouse and built by Henry Smith.
The bricks were made near the site, and from timber - cedar and beech - hauled by bullock wagons from the McConnel's Durundur property.
The name Cressbrook came from Henry McConnel's estate in Derbyshire, England.
The building was renamed Morven in 1864 by David L. Brown.
It was used during World War II as an American Army billet and, in 1952, was purchased by the Roman Catholic Church.
It now forms part of St Patrick's College.
34 Park Parade - Haddington
HADDINGTON was built in 1876 by William Henry Barham.
It was named after a district in East Lothian, Scotland, near Edinburgh.
When first constructed the maid's quarters and kitchen were detached at the rear.
In 1911 it was bought by the Wade-Brown family, who continued to live there until the 1980s.
92 Yundah Street - Holland House
HOLLAND House was built in 1876 by Mr Dickenson for Captain L. Patrick.
It was originally built as a hotel/guesthouse, and became a very popular honeymoon destination.
The grounds originally covered one and a half acres and included a tennis court.
Mrs English was the proprietor from 1916-1925 and "offered visitors every attention and all home comforts with milk and poultry from her own yard”.
During World War II it was a brothel and was popular with American servicemen on leave.
In 1953 the building was converted into six flats.
32 Park Parade - Mango Cottage
THIS home was also known as Berwick on Tweed.
It was built in the late 1870s for Captain William Townsend who lived in Mango Cottage from 1877-1893.
Captain Townsend, a retired sea captain, had bought the Brighton Hotel in 1867.
After converting it to a private home, he lived there for 10 years before returning to Shorncliffe.
Captain Townsend was also one of three elected Aldermen when Sandgate was proclaimed a municipality in 1880.
The house was converted to flats for many years.
71 Swan Street - Saltwood
THIS sprawling single-storey timber residence was built circa 1870s-1880s as a holiday residence for the Hart and Drury families of Brisbane.
It remained in the Drury family until 1919 and then became a guest house for many years.
From 1920-1979 the property was owned by the McMenamin family, who used two rooms as a doctor's surgery and locum's room in the late 1960s.
They replaced the original picket fence with the present masonry and timber structure and by the early 1950s a tennis court was created on the lawn to the south of the residence.
86 Flinders Parade - Harriman
HARRIMAN was built circa 1880 as a holiday home for a property owner living out west. It was later converted to flats.
In 1978 it narrowly escaped destruction by the fire in the Beach Theatre next door.
Harriman is on the Brisbane City Council Heritage Register.
30 Brighton Terrace - Fallowfield
FALLOWFIELD was built in 1880 for George and Mary Agnew.
Mr Agnew was the managing director of Queensland Railway Carriage, Wagon and Tramcar Co at Nundah.
He immigrated to Australia from England in 1880 and became one of Sandgate's most prominent and influential citizens.
He was an Alderman for Sandgate and State Member of Parliament for Nundah from 1888-1896.
Mr Agnew continued to live in the home after the death of his wife in 1930.
He died in 1934 and the house remained in the hands of the family.
The house was auctioned in 2002 after 122 years in the Agnew family.
16 Park Parade - Villa Marina
THIS home, now known as Shorncliffe Lodge, was built in 1881.
It was designed by J. R. Hall as the family home.
On Mr Hall's death in 1883, his wife Charlotte converted the home into a boarding house.
Charlotte acquired the adjoining residences, Belair and Capri, with these buildings used as annexes to her accommodation centre.
Belair on the southern side was built on the croquet lawn, and Capri (later Monaro) on the southern side was annexed to become the dining rooms.
Charlotte conducted the boarding house until her death in 1910.
She was described in Queensland Country Life as "the genial hostess of Villa Marina, which is situated in the best part of Sandgate with unsurpassed view of the bay islands and Pacific ocean”.
After 133 years it is still a boarding house today.
63 Allpass Parade - Cavesham
CAVESHAM was built in 1882 by W. Holdway for Robert John Gray, Colonial Under-Secretary and Railway Commissioner.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.